Fried chicken in a crock pot! Looking at that plate of goodness makes me hungry. Jana knows how to make some good southern food! This is recipe number 10 as Jana and I cook our way through A Year of Slow Cooking! Stop over to Just Makin’ It and browse through Jana’s posts. She has a lot of great natural cleaning tips as well as recipes.
I did it. I sure did! I “fried” chicken drumsticks in the crockpot. I found this recipe after searching on Stephanie O’Dea’s website, A Year of Slow Cooking, for something to do with drumsticks. We are low in the meat department of our freezer, and I’m not much for the bone-in-my-chicken meal, but it was on sale, and I bought it. After checking out Stephanie’s site, I have learned to read the comments to see other suggestions. What I have found at Stephanie’s website is the recipes are good, but not exactly healthy. So I try to reduce the fat and increase the healthy. I didn’t do it with this dish. Now that I know how it tastes, though, in the future I am going to change it up just a bit.
Here’s the original recipe.
And here is mine.
Crockpot Fried Chicken:
- 5 thawed drumsticks
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (this is what I’m changing next time. Not sure yet, but I’m changing it)
- 1/4 cup flour (probably going to change this to wheat next time to see how it tastes)
- 3 T seasoned salt
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Shake and bake that chicken. Dump all your ingredients, minus the butter, into a plastic bag, dump in your chicken, and SHAKE!!
- Place your seasoned chicken into the crockpot and pour the melted butter over the chicken. This is how the chicken is going to “fry”
- Cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8-10